Sunday, September 10, 2006

Eggplant Babies

The whole idea of starting a little side project called "Eggplant Designs" came from the blankets I love to make for babies I know. These little gems are a flannel ruffled blanket and from what the moms have told me, they come in handy.

I've only made three of these blankets but I LOVE to make them. I love to pick out the perfect material for each baby (or as the case may sometimes be, their parents), I love how quickly they sew up and I love how cute the ruffle is and how warm and cuddly they are.

Here are photos of two of the blankets I've made. The first photo is of the first Eggplant Baby, Aidan.



Aidan is the adorable baby of my friends Amy & Mark. He is now 14 months old and also received matching burpping pads I was able to make with leftover material.

The second and third Eggplant Babies are Isabella and Rob respectively. Photos are pending for both of these cuties but in the meantime here are two shots of the John Deere blanket I made for Rob to give you a better idea of what they look like close up.





Edit:And here's a recent photo of Isabella - Wade & Bryony's oh so cute cutie - thanks for the pic Bryony!



I'm looking forward to making two more of these in the near future. On Tuesday my boyfriend's sister-in-law is scheduled for a c-section and my sister is due with baby #3 in late December.

While I have other more pressing projects on the go right now (not the least of which is my MA thesis, something I have to keep reminding myself of!) I'm hoping I might be able to take these blankets retail and sell in several local stores as well as online. I have a line on some organic fabric and I'm on the look out for vintage flannel to really make these blankets unique. The first step in making this a reality was purchasing some labels to attach to my creations. I ordered these online from Carmen at Luscious Labels and I love them! (Sorry for the webcam quality photo.)



The next step will be finishing my thesis so I can free up some time (or more realistically, finally have some "guilt free," free time) to devote to building this little side business. In addition to making these blankets, I also love to design and knit items for others and take photographs so I decided that any name for my creative business couldn't be limited to reflecting one creative outlet or the other and I chose the name Eggplant Designs. Why eggplant? I'm not really sure exactly, but my favourite colour is purple and I do love the shape and sheen of a large plump aubergine so I think that may have swayed my decision.

So that's the story of how Eggplant Designs came to be.

No comments: