Friday, October 27, 2006

Socktoberfest Socks, Stocking Progress, Felting & Grave, Grave, Grave Knitting Errors, Oh My!

I have been SO busy over the past two weeks, I've barely had time to do pretty much anything I actually enjoy and do in order to relax. As we speak I have just finished sorting a huge pile of papers on my desk and have cleaned up as much as I can (considering our bathrooms are still in disarray after some renovations - almost done, down to the painting, also in the bedroom, and finishing touches) before my mom arrives in, well minutes ... she should be here any minute, for a nice long visit from Ontario!! I am excited!

So, knitting . . .

Socktoberfest Socks: Two weeks ago, at Stitch 'n Bitch, I finally finished the toes and I wore them the next day (I haven't since though, as like Laura, I have laundry on my list too!). Julia, the week's knitting host, kindly took some photos for me - check these beauties out - nice photography skills eh?





Stocking Progress:



Here you go! So far, it is coming along ... I still think it is a bit skinny but compared to my old one, it is. ALSO! At that week's knitting session I also learned that I have been purling INCORRECTLY for the past, um, maybe 10 years!! How did I not notice this? How did no one else catch this? Basically I was purling with yarn at the front of the stitch instead of pulling it behind and I was twisting every single stitch in every bit of flat knitting I have done in the past 10 YEARS! This explains why I always thought the switch from knitting in the round to flat knitting seemed more awkward - it always required a sort of twist and twitch of the needles to get the knit stitches off from the previously purled row ...

So, unless I completely frog the stocking I'll have to continue to purl incorrectly for this project, and then continue to purl correctly for the other things I'm working on - mostly little wallets and purses to felt and sell at an upcoming craft fair. Yeah, I know sounds complicated - but I'd rather not frog . . . but the perfectionist in me might . . . but then again, we're almost into November - the BIG stocking day will soon be on its way!

Well, that's all I have time for tonight - so many exciting things in the world of knitting but so little time to knit - I'm looking forward to a road trip with my mom and having her drive so I can really go at 'er!

No comments: