Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Wednesday is Thrift Shop Day

Today was a nice quiet visit to the thrift shop at St. Aidan's. I wasn't there too long and I had some specific things on my list (Christmas shopping to fill baskets with kid craft materials). I found a few things on my list and a few others as well (of course!).



I especially love the oak leaf soap dish - lovely find!

Check out flickr for notes and close up photos of the other items including my mysterious Pyrex find - if you have any hints, please leave a comment! I'm curious!

In other thrifty news we are the proud new owners of a big, white, comfy chair! I have been coveting a 'chair and a 1/2' for some time now - good friends of mine have a lovely chair and ottoman set that just seems perfect to curl up in with the kids, or your knitting, or a good book . . . (you get the idea)


BEFORE

This 'beauty' has been sitting in our living room with sheets on it for the past few days since it was in a pretty sorry state when we picked it up from the UsedVictoria seller who happily took 1/2 the asking price since it was in far worse shape than the original photo let on. The photo above was taken at the gas station - we drove it there to vacuum some of the cat hair off. It took $5 in loonies!

Today, Wes from The Soap Exchange came with his eco-friendly citrus cleaner and steam cleaned this chair, our couch and two thrifted tub chairs we've had for forever. I washed the cushion cover for the big white chair earlier in the day and now everything is drying. It looks SO much better and needs one more vacuum with a brush attachment (the car wash vacuum didn't have one of those!) to get the last of the cat hair and it will be pretty good. There are some serious cat slash marks (right down to the foam/wood) on the lower right leg of the chair so we'll see what we do about that. Maybe a patch a'la Soulemama's cozy patchwork chair on page 178 in Handmade Home or maybe a whiter version of these. Some day I may tackle making a slip cover but I said that about the thrifted tub chairs - somehow I think this chair is different . . . I do love it! Can't wait to reveal the 'After' shot!

Well I best go - the sun is setting and I've got too many windows open, too many piles around the apartment and oh yeah, a thesis to write!

No comments: