Sunday, January 03, 2010

We’re tired of buying bags of organic cotton balls and not having anything to show for it!



Well not really - who wants to keep all those used cotton balls? Our compost pick-up service probably likes them better anyway.

A few months ago I began using Nezza Naturals’ Lavender Neroli Toner. Soon my husband was more addicted than me and even though we tore each organic cotton ball in half, we seemed to go through them like crazy!

A week or two ago we ran out of cotton balls and Bruce has been using toilet paper as a stand in because I said I would make some re-useable balls/pads.

With a gifted Tawashi Flower from my friend Bryony in mind, I came up with a knitted re-useable alternative to those wasteful cotton balls.

Best of all I unravelled the front & back of a cotton pillow case my Nana made me a few years ago that I never got around to stuffing and sewing up and has since fallen out of style. Re-purposed into re-useable - I like!
__________


Bruce's Re-Useable Cotton 'Balls' (manly style)

SQUARE

Cast on 10 stitches.
Knit in garter stitch each row until there are 8/9 garter stitch rows or until ‘ball’ is as long as it is wide (aka square).
Cast off.

Measures approx. 2x2 inches


DIAMOND
I increased until there were 12 stitches on the needle and then began decreasing.

Cast on 1 stitch
Increase Row: Knit 1, increase 1 (knit in front & back of stitch) knit to end of row
Repeat until there are 12 stitches
Decrease row: Knit 1, knit 2 together, knit to end of row
Repeat until there is 1 stitch left
Bind off and weave in ends

Measures approx. 2x1 3/4 inches

No comments: